Work in Progress: A Murder of Crows

Happy Earth Day everyone!
I decided to honor Earth day with a new large work, featuring a mob of crows (aka a murder) defending their territory from their natural adversary, the owl. In the wild, owls prey on crows so whenever crows see one they will often gang up to harass the owl out of their territory.  Anyway, the idea of a gang of crows in a deadly duel with an owl seemed like a good opportunity for some dynamic imagery with two of my favorite birds.

Thus, this new piece "A Murder of Crows".

It's far from being finished but I thought I'd share the work in progress photos of today's work. As you can see I only very roughly put in the outlines of the birds, mostly to get the composition worked out, and then I go into the detail work with ink and brush.

Work in progress photos
20 x 30 inches
ink and some acrylic on cold-press illustration board





Comments