Metamorphosis: An Exquisite Corpse Collaboration

Artist Barbara Glatzeder recently sent me her half of an exquisite corpse artwork that she wanted me to collaborate  on. For those of you unfamiliar with the term, an exquisite corpse artwork is where one artist created part of an artwork and then sends on to one or more artists to complete, except the other artists cannot see what the original artist created. In this case, Barbara completed half of a picture, covered it over, and left a thin, one-inch strip of the art showing in the middle of the page where I was to join my side of the picture to hers.

The results is this piece, which I am calling Metamorphosis. Barbara's composition is on the left (the butterfly), and my contribution is on the right (the lizard). It was an interesting experiment, and although there are things I would like to change/fix on my side of the artwork (the lizard's left foreleg isn't correctly positioned on his body), it was a fun experience that I'll probably try again.

Please click on an image to enlarge


Comments

patrice schelkun said…
very cool idea! how is it that the two of you have such similar thinking in design?
Hi Patrice
In this case, Barabara and I know each other, and she taylored her side of the design to what she thought would go well with what I might do, and I, in turn, from my inch preview of her work, tried to replicate certain motifs that I saw she had used in order to make a more seamless looking picture. I am going to be doing another E.C. with another artist that I know so we'll see how that one turns out!