Art of the Gecko

Just a bit of news on my end:

I will be featuring some gecko artwork at the Academy of Natural Sciences in Philadelphia, PA, USA from July 25 through September 7, 2009. The Gecko art show runs in conjunction with the Academy’s live gecko exhibit (see http://www.ansp.org/geckos/highlights.php). Opening night reception and sale is July 24, 5:30 to 7:30 PM.

This art show came about when the Academy put out a call for local artists to take 12” “blank” resin gecko sculptures and decorate them in whatever manner they wanted. I painted my gecko gold and then embellished with paper and foil cutouts, which I then coated with some layers of Modge Podge (a type of sealer) to keep in place.

Having not worked with any sculptures before, it was a bit of a challenge for me to work in 3D. I have some more ideas of what I would do differently if given another chance, but overall, I think the result is interesting. I call him “Golden Gecko”. Below are some photos:







It is also looking likely that I will be in a juried art show in the Philadelphia area in July. Details TBA soon.

Comments