Nearfest Recap

I got in late last night from the 10th North East Art Rock Festival (NEAR Fest) in Bethlehem, PA. It's an annual international progressive rock-oriented music festival held at Lehigh Univerity's Zoellner Theater. This year's lineup included Banco, Peter Hammill, Radio Massacre International, Koenjihyakkei, Morglbl, Discipline, Echolyn, and Liquid Tension Experiment, in addition to a Friday night pre-show with some more artists. My favorites were Banco, Peter Hammill and Koenjihyakkei.

I also picked up a few cds and dvds from the vendor rooms, including the Strawb's album "Grave New World" (a progressive/folk rock classic from 1972), and the recently released album "The Transit Rider" by Faun Fables, which is excellent. Songwriter Dawn McCarthy, in addition to being a fantastic vocalist and musician, is a pretty cool artist as well. I also picked up a DVD boxset of some Werner Herzog/Klaus Kinski films for dirt cheap.

In addition to watching some bands and buying some music, I went to NEAR Fest to promote my band's new record, Fossil Eyes, which was just released on the RER USA label.

I also managed to get SOME work contacts as well - I met with a Canadian music festival promoter and he was interested in incorporating one of my dragon designs into a festival logo. I met with another client today and will be starting a major website job for her shortly. I also may have an artwork commission start this week as well. So all-in-all, a good past few days...

Below are some pics from the fest.


At the RER USA vendor table with some amazing musicians


Brandon and I with a friend


Peter Hammill


Radio Massacre International


Brandon and I. Thanks to Debbie Sears for photo.

Comments