Raw Shark Texts

One of my favorite newer books, The Raw Shark Texts by Steven Hall, was published last year. I hear they may be making a movie about it. Not too many people I personally know have read it yet so I want to try and promote it here. The books itself is a debut for the writer, and it's pretty impressive, creative and wildly original with memorable characters. I saw a review which described it as "Memento meets DaVinci Code." Uuggh. I would ignore that review and read it anyway ;)

It's LIKE Memento in that the protagonist has lost his memory. He is trying to piece the fragments of his life back together after a horribly traumatic event in which he lost his girlfriend. That's the straight forward plot synapses anyway, but the book is anything but straight forward. It's mysterious, funny, metaphysical, and wildly original, plus there are some very artistic type images that interact with the story. It's hard to explain, but if you visit the book website, you can get an idea of what a memory shark looks like. Anyway, here's a better review than this one to read about the Raw Shark Texts.

Plus they also have a big orange cranky tabby in the story. And I am partial to big, orange, cranky tabbies. I don't know why.

Comments