Latest Artwork: Memento Mori

I've been working on and off this piece for the past two weeks. I decided to try doing a  monochromatic piece, as I had not created one of these in a while, and some of my earlier monochromatic works were receiving renewed interest online. However, I did add in some very subtle coloration with a silvery moss green ink wash as well as some actual metallic silver acrylic for accents.

I may bring this artwork in to have rephotographed or else scanned as I am not quite happy with how these photographs came out. The subtle coloration does not show up as well in the photos as it does in real life.

Memento Mori

Original is available for sale. 
TO PURCHASE: Email Lynnette or call 215.646.1776.

DETAILS:
Price: $2000
Artwork Dimensions: 22 x 30 inches
Medium: mixed media on Aquabord
Year Created: 2015

Additional Description: Memento Mori comes from the Latin phrase meaning "remember (that you have) to die". It's a Medieval tradition of reflecting on death and the impermanence of life. Many artowrks were painted as memento moris and used various symbols to convey the transience of life. In my painting I used the traditional memento mori symbol of the skull, as well as some other symbols, such as the snake, which in many cultures symbolizes the afterlife, transition, resurrection and / or rebirth. Likewise the moth is another death symbol, while the garden symbolizes fertility and life. I chose to use the humble blackbird for this picture to represent humanity. Here they are seemingly inquisitive, rather than fearful, of death.
http://lynnetteshelley.com/memento-mori.html













Comments