Latest Artwork: Jangala

Last night I finished up my artwork "Jangala". Jangala is a sanskrit word meaning uncultivated land, and is the origins of the English word Jungle.

I don't like to play favorites with my artwork but I must admit I am very happy with how this piece turned out overall. Compositionally, I think it is very sound, and there is a lot of movement in the artwork despite the fact that the main subject is sitting still. The stylized plant life motif is colorful without (I think) being gaudy. I used a lot of exotic floral designs to play up the lush and fertile jungle aspects, while the leopard contrasts with a quiet stillness amongst the tangled overgrowth.

I am really liking how the oil pastels (and colored pencils) work on Ampersand's Pastelbord, which is what I used on this piece. It's definitely one of my new favorite surfaces to use with my art.

I took these photos today. They are a little dark as a snowstorm is headed our way and it's very overcast and rainy at the moment. The artwork is very vibrant in person. I am applying to a bunch of art shows this weekend so I'll most likely add this piece to one of my applications so look for it at a future art show in 2013.

"Jangala"
24 x 36 inches
Oil Pastels and Colored Pencils on Pastelbord

NEW! Short video talking about the process behind Jangala



Please click on pictures to enlarge.
As always, visit my website to view more of my work.









Comments