Latest Artwork: Dueling Octopus (Sucker Punch)

I finally finished my octopus piece last night. I had been thinking about leaving the background clear, to show the natural wood color, but decided the octopus looked too heavy and needed something to ground it as opposed to floating on a clear background. So I painted the background an iridescent gold.

This artwork was very difficult to photograph because of the size, the iridescent gold paint as well as the clear gloss protective coating causing camera glare, the subtle coloring, and all the tiny details on the body of the octopus that is not showing up on the photographs. Hopefully you can get an idea of the piece from these photographs, but I do say the piece looks more impressive in person. I don't usually toot my own horn when it comes to my artwork but I do think this is my most favorite piece I have ever made at this point. I am thinking of doing a second piece at some point of the same size / style with an octopus and a sperm whale, or perhaps a giant squid and sperm whale...

I will be submitting it to a juried art show at a museum shortly, along with four other artworks. Hopefully this one, or one of the others, will get in. Stay tuned......


Title: "Dueling Octopus (Sucker Punch)"
Dimensions: 24 x 36"
Framed Dimensions: 26 x 38" approx.
Medium: Mixed Media on Art Board
Year Created: 2012
www.lynnetteshelley.com

Please click to enlarge.




















Comments