Work in Progress: The Tyrant

I decided to try something bit different for my latest painting. Titled "The Tyrant", the artwork depicts a T-Rex in an almost pop-art / aboriginal / cubist style. I've used acrylics and gouache on an 18 x 24" wood panel. Below are some photos from about three different painting sessions over a period of three days. The photos are from days 2 and 3 as I mostly just worked out the underpainting on the first day/session.

I was having trouble working with the acrylics at first as they felt a bit too "stiff" and not as "buttery" a consistency as I would like; however, after watering down the paint and adding various mediums to it, and even mixing in some gouache, I finally got the consistency I was looking for by my third session. I'll have to experiment some more with the medium as I get more experience with the acrylics on panel.

Please click on images to enlarge.














Comments