Melusine, Edward Gorey, and Pendragon





I finished another artwork a few days ago. Entitled Melusine, the image depicts the mythical water spirit, who had the upper body of a female and the lower body of a serpent or fish or sometimes even a dragon, depending on the story. Read one of the Melusine myths here.

This is another piece that will be coming with me to my art show at Dragon Con this September. I was organizing my list of artworks last night, and it looks like I'll be bringing 32 pieces with me. I am working on the final five now (no cylons involved lol).

For inspiration, and just because I think he's awesome, I went to the Edward Gorey exhibit at the Brandywine River Museum in Chadds Ford, PA (they are most famous for their Wyeth collections). Unfortunately, the exhibit is now over, but while there I saw some excellent original works of well-known and not-so-well known Gorey works, as well as preparatory sketches etc.

So I am going to try my hand at pen-and-ink work next, in honor of Gorey. I started one last night, which I am calling "Pendragon."

Comments

M.M.E. said…
Beautiful artwork! I can really see the influence of Celtic knots. Nice to find another illustrator.